Paint and Plastic Soldiers

3.30.2009

A Fatal Case of Tactical Schizophrenia

In my most recent games, I have found myself at a loss when it comes to a strategy to effectively deal with armour or heavily-armoured troops.
My army had been tuned toward primarily infantry destruction (Death Company, Assault Squads, Tacticals, Baal Predator) and a bit of anti-tank (Vindicator, Lascannon in one Tactical Squad, Meltabombs on sergeants). The only problem is that my army always confuses me when I got into a fight. I never really knew what each component was for. Does my Tactical Squad sit around and fire off its lascannon at that tank, or does it move up and rapid fire the crap out of some infantry? Do I use my Vindicator to thin a crowd, take out Termies/Nobs in Mega Armour, or try to take out that tank? Very, very confusing.

So I'm simplifying it for myself by including some fast, but dedicated, anti-armour elements that, in the case of the flamer-speeders, can later be used to assist with cleanup. Three attack bikes and four land speeders all armed with meltaguns. The attack bikes also have TL bolters so they can join in on the cleanup and can turboboost to enhance their chances at surviving to make contact. But the primary goal of these elements is to take down tanks and/or heavy infantry.

My other units have been similarly pared down. My tactical squads are now BOTH mounted in Rhinos to enable them to move in pace with my assault squads. The idea is to provide close fire support before I bring one or the other assault squad and/or the DC (which will be mounted in a Rhino with the Chaplain, as well, just to increase the survivability of this deadly payload - yes, I know they can't assault out of that can) over to finish them off with a charge or some pistol fire.

I've also increased the points efficiency of my units. My tactical squad sergeants will no longer be armed with power weapons OR plasma pistols (I have built new models to replace the sergeants I've already painted, complete with holes in their backpacks for the banners). My lone remaining tank, the Baal Predator, no longer carries a storm bolter or a hunter killer missile, as I am now no longer stretching for anti-tank capability for a savings of 25 points. I may even, at a later date (or sooner), remove the meltabombs from the tactical sergeants as they will not likely be rushing tanks and use the 10 points to buy another typhoon launcher for a land speeder.

I want a clear division between my anti-armour elements and my anti-infantry elements, and I think I have achieved this. Each tool is easier to use, and its intended use is clearer and more obvious to me in the heat of battle and the fog of war. I was using a hammer as a screwdriver and a screwdriver as a hammer.

Further improvements may include clearing out the meltabombs (potentially redundant, and I'll reclaim 25 points in total from doing so) and maybe even the powerfists on the assault squads (saving me another 50 points - combined with the meltabomb savings, that's one more land speeder).

Without further ado, I present for your viewing pleasure:

1750 point Blood Angels Rapid Strike List

HQ

Chaplain - 105p
- Meltabombs

ELITES

Death Company - 40p
^ Rhino

TROOPS

Assault Squad 280p
- More Marines
- Powerfist
- Meltabombs

Assault Squad 280p
- More Marines
- Powerfist
- Meltabombs

Tactical Squad 240p
- More Marines
- Meltabombs
- Flamer
^ Rhino

Tactical Squad 240p
- More Marines
- Meltabombs
- Flamer
^ Rhino

FAST ATTACK

Attack Bike Squadron 150p
- Two More Bikes
- 3x Multi-melta

Land Speeder 140p
- Multi-melta
- Typhoon Missile Launcher
^ One More Speeder
- Multi-melta

Land Speeder 150p
- Multi-melta
- Heavy Flamer
^ One More Speeder
- Multi-melta
- Heavy Flamer

HEAVY SUPPORT

Baal Predator 125p
- Heavy Bolters

1750p TOTAL

No comments:

Post a Comment